What is The Orfelin Circle
We are a group that believes it is possible to
articulate common aspirations, affinities and wishes in a more
encompassing and organized way.
We are interested in live and contemporary Serbian
culture and its interaction with other cultures: European, American and
all other with which the Serbian cultural environment comes into
contact. This does not exclude traditional values which we all carry
with us, due to our education and our feelings, and which we try to
preserve in the best and most contemporary way.
of the Orfelin Circle
What are our goals
We would like to organize cultural exchanges. This
would include concerts, theatre performances, film festivals, art
exhibitions, meetings with writers, lectures... The three dots are
purposefully here as the process is open and ideas are not exhausted.
Our spirit is also eyeing a library, a library for children and a media
We are inviting you to become friends of The
Orfelin Circle , to support with your ideas and in other ways this
We live in turbulent times and think that a modest
effort is the least that can be done in order to enhance reality. In
the belief that children learn best by example, this is our attempt to
offer them the most valuable of worlds and choices, and that is culture.
How did the name The Orfelin Circle come into being
Zachary Stefanovich Orfelin
(1726-1785) was the first Serbian bourgeois poet and artist. The scope
of his interests led him from poetry and writing to engraving and the
graphic arts. He was also the founder of the first journal among the
Southern Slavs (Slavenoserbski Magazin).
The geography of his human destiny extends from
Novi Sad, Temisoara and Karlovac to Budapest, Vienna and Venice.
Through his life and activities he appeared to us
as an exceptional metaphor for our ideas and goals, as well as an
illustration of ourselves, modern nomads and seekers in the world in
which we live.
Actions and Events
- My Hero Bookworm, A Presentation by Serbian writer Vida Ognjenovic, June 7, 2017
- 8th Serbian Contemporary Short and Documentary Film Washington 2017, June 1 and 4, 2017
- Literary Evening and Presentation of the Book "A Little Advice For a Better Life" by Milena Trobozic Garfield, April 19, 2017
- 7th Serbian Contemporary Short and Documentary Film Washington 2016, June 5, 2016
- Literary Evening and Presentation of the Books by Prof. Milanka Berberović of University of Arts in Belgrade and Mirjana Bobić Mojsilović, writer and painter from Belgrade, May 9, 2016 (photos)
- 6th Serbian Contemporary Short and Documentary Film Washington 2015, May 28 and 31, 2015
- Literary Evening and Presentation of the Novel "The Great War" by Aleksandar Gatalica, April 8, 2015
- The Serbian Medieval Cultural Heritage, a book talk by author Vesna Petković, February 1, 2015
- 10th Anniversary - The Orfelin Circle on Voice of America
- SAMA and Orfelin Circle 2014 Fall Fundraiser, November 7, 2014, special guest jazz singer Sofija Knezevic, accompanied by Elliot Mason and Mark Meadows (photos)
- 5th Serbian Contemporary Short and Documentary Film Washington 2014, May 29 and June 1, 2014
- Concert for Kolarac, Friday, February 7, at 7:30 p.m.
- Homebody/Kabul Performance by Dušanka Stojanović Glid, National Theatre, Belgrade (photos), November 10, 2012
- 4th Serbian Contemporary Short and Documentary Film Washington 2009, May 31 and June 3, 2009
- Stefan Milenkovich Concert at American University, June 07, 2008 (Press Release, Program, Pamphlet, Poster, Photos)
- 3rd Serbian Contemporary Short and Documentary Film Washington 2008, April 20 and 23, 2008
- The Fourth Fall Fundraising Ball, October 12, 2007 (photos
- Carpe Diem Ensamble, June 23 - 25, 2007 (World Children's Choir, 2007
World Children's Festival, Kennedy Center performance)
- Trio Balkan Strings, May 21, 2007 (photos)
- 2nd Serbian Contemporary Short and Documentary Film Washington 2007, March 7 and 11, 2007(Washington Post, March 3, 2007)
- The Third Fall Fundraising Ball, October 13, 2006 (photos)
- Theatrical Evening with The Zvezdara Theater, Belgrade in collaboration with The National Theater of Republic of Srpska, Banja Luka, September 15, 2006 (photos)
- 1st Serbian Contemporary Short and Documentary Film Washington 2006, March 26, 2006 - "Rough Cut Lives" and "Casting"
- In Search of a Method - Art Exhibition, December 15, 2005 - January 14, 2006
- The Second Fall Fundraising Ball , September 23, 2005
- A Tesla Evening at Goethe-Institut, May 14, 2005
- A Concert by the Belgrade String Quartet, April 22, 2005
- A Concert by The Teofilović Twins at Kennedy Center, October 19, 2004
- The First Fall Fundraising Ball (Serbian), September 24, 2004
- Lecture: Medieval Serbia, June 30, 2004
- Šaban Bajramović's Concert in D.C. June 25, 2004 (photos)
- Visit to the Exhibition Byzantium: Faith and Power, May 8, 2004
- Sounds of the Balkans - Prof. George Vid Tomashevic's Lecture on Ancient Serbian and Macedonian Music Report and photos in Serbian), May 1, 2004
- Report from our Initial Assembly, April 4, 2004